Subject: Re: [Leica] goddammit!
From: shino@ubspainewebber.com
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 05:18:41 -0400 (EDT)

> > Rei wrote:
> >
> > "i'd think the grand canyon would be one of the LEAST
> > compelling reasons to buy a P&S.  the GC is really rife with
> > photographic opportunities, but they don;t require speed or
> > reflexes to capture--ares where the P&S excel.  in my
> > opinion you need a camera with manual focus"
>

> his depends. Remember photo of children watching street
> theatre performance on HCB photo? Shots of adults who were
> told that they are watching the greatest wonder of civilized
> world and now are trying to look astonished will be funny!

reminds me of that scene in "vacation" when chevy chase,
frenetically driving across country to get to california, is convinced
to make the perfunctory tourist stop at the grand canyon.  at the rim,
he rocks three times in way of marking the appropriate interval
to pay homage to its magnificence, then rushes the family off again into
the station wagon.

> If he is going to make family snapshots, he needs a P&S. His
> wife nor children won't probably be able to use his Leica.

i go over to where she's going to be, set aperture, shutterspeed
and focus, request her to stand on the same spot i was standing,
and then at the decisive moment push the button. :-)

the kids get to share a disposable. (mine are 2 and 3)

don't get me wrong.  i often use a contax t2, which is a fine camera.
i just don't think i would have gone out and buy one specifically for a
trip to the grand canyon.

- -rei