Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and white -- point me in the right direction
From: John Hicks <jbh@magicnet.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 01:11:58 -0400

At 11:50 PM 5/6/01 -0400, you wrote:

>So, what's worth looking at?  Is there anything that matches Delta 100 plus
>XTOL 1:3?

  I like D-76/ID-11 1:1 to 1:3. It works well with Delta 100.

>  How is the DD-X people have been talking about this week?

  DD-X is essentially a liquid-concentrate version of Microphen. Because of
the phenidone derivative used (for good storage life) development times are
longer but in all other characteristics it's the same as Microphen.

>Are there any 400 speed films that compare favorably to HP5+?

  There's a new version of Delta 400 but my first tests have been marred by
pressure/bending fogging of 120 rolls. A couple of people have recently
mentioned the same sort of problems with 35mm.
  So...imho, HP5+ is still where it's at.

>  100 Speed films better than Delta 100?

  There's new Fuji 100 Acros, Fuji's answer to TMX and Delta 100. I just
did a speed/development test of the film in D-76 1:1 in the Jobo; I came up
with EI 50 for "normal contrast" development of 7'/75F, one-minute (only)
presoak.
  Fuji calls this film "orthopanchromatic"; I wonder if the unexpected low
EI I got was because I exposed the test strip by tungsten light rather than
5000k  or so sunshine.

John Hicks

jbh@magicnet.net