Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: 75 Summilux question
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 15:49:34 -0400

> I haven't been keeping track of which position has more votes,
> but how about
> something just a LITTLE more informative...such as WHY "do" or "don't"?

Er, was do-do more informative?
;)

Okay: the 75/1.4 is the one current production M lens that provides the very
best of all Leica lens qualities: wonderfully smooth bokeh, sharp
resolution, great contrast, good detail in the shadows, faithful color
rendition, and an incredible resistance to flare.  In other words, Leica
found a way in this design to produce a screamingly sharp lens (look at the
MTF figures for it) that sacrifices nothing in its smooth rendition of out
of focus areas.

It truly is the kind of lens that changes your photography: you begin to
look for reasons to use it.  I love to take portraits with this lens opened
up to f2 or 2.8 with a busy background (like a city street, or lots of
trees) and the subject side- or backlit.

To see the results from this lens is to fall in love with it--and to suffer
its size and weight gladly.

Dan

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: 75 Summilux question)