Subject: [Leica] Back to the future: A new Photo League
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@ifrance.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 20:22:15 +0200

I tried to send this text a couple of hours ago, but it didn't come
through (too long?). This time I don't send the text, just the URL:
http://newdeal.feri.org/pn/pn139.htm

A part from some obsolete techno optimism and a few other things out of
time, this article from 1939 is still of actual interest. It gives an idea
about what I consider being a reasonable starting-point for a new Photo
League.

Oddmund Garvik

<<<<<<<
Documentary Photography

Elizabeth McCausland

January 1939

1.The rise of documentary photography does not spring from fashion. Rather
its rapid growth represents strong organic forces at work, strong creative
impulses seeking an outlet suitable to the serious and tense spirit of our
age. The proof that documentary photography is not a fad or a vogue lies
in the history of other movements in photography. Before the documentary,
the technical "capriccci" of Moholy-Nagy and Man Ray; before the
"photogram" and the "rayograph," the Photo-Secession; before that, the
pictorialists. What came of these? From the abstract and surrealist
tendencies, Cecil Beaton. From the Photo-Secession a few fine workers like
Paul Strand, Edward Weston and Charles Sheeler, the best of their mature
energies being best employed when they turn to newer and more objective
purposes. From the pictorial school, the Oval Table.
(...)