Subject: Re: [Leica] Magnum
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@ifrance.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 16:34:47 +0200

Mer 02 mai 2001 08:52:34 -0400
Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com> a écrit:

> I couldn't agree more with this... the diagnosis if not the analysis. I
> don't believe 'dangerous' images disappeared from the media because of
> any action by the establishment, but due to market pressures and
> corporate acquisitions which forced the various media, like the right
> and the left in politics, to become more the-same in order to complete.
> Any organ that wasn't the-same either disappeared or shrivelled to a
> tiny hard-core readership. Of course that may be exactly what Oddmund is
> saying in his own political dialect.

It is something like that, yes. But the exercise of power is a subtle and
often invisible affair. The real power in our time is the corporate
multinational power together with a few international organizations (WTO,
World Bank etc.). "Democracy" and "freedom", "left" and "right" and so on
are just facades, empty words more or less.

> > What about restoring a photographic movement like in the past? Like
> > the Photo League? This is an old idea I have, ...
>
> An interesting idea! But not if tied to a political agenda. If tied to
> some notion of the power and integrity of the image, and its relation to
> the real world as opposed to galleries, curators, editors, ad-men, and
> stockholders, yes!

No, of course, no imminent political agenda. I am neither in favor of
directed photography (or art), nor any "authorized" testimony of any sort.
On the other hand, doing this kind of documentary work necessarily brings
you to a certain point of objection, or protest. The original Photo League
was a rather leftist project, and most of the Magnum photographers doesn't
in any way express the official points of view...

Oddmund Garvik

Message from Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com> (Re: [Leica] Magnum)