Subject: Re: [Leica] Quitting the LUG
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:30:01 -0500

SonC ascends to the soapbox:

I never comment on people's paws on list.  I sometimes comment to them
off-list, and when I see a pic that moves me, I do bring my student workers
to my computer and show off everyone's work.

I came to the List late to commit to the PAW,  but I've posted several
non-paw pics. It takes a great deal of courage to place your picture out on
the table, and often people are unkind in their on-list postings.

Usually, these are people who are unkind in their dealings with others in
general.  (Does not share shovel and pail in sandbox.)  But for every unkind
remark made on-list about my pictures, I get about six or seven compliments
off-list.

I've learned over these weeks that Leica ownership, (or  even Leica
like-a-ship) does not make people into ladies and gentlemen, just like
advanced degrees don't always make Academic types smart.  But I do learn
from all of you who have the courage to post your pictures, and I appreciate
that they are there.  I even have a folder in my mailbox for your PAWS, and
when I have time, I go through them.  I urge you to continue, because
sharing photography is the real value of this list.

I'm convinced  many misunderstandings occur because people who subscribe to
the digest instead of directly to the list  post knee-jerk responses before
following the whole thread, and thus receive information out of context.
Other misunderstandings occur because some people seem to have zero sense of
humor, and take every statement literally.

I own two Leicas,  an M6 and the other a CL.  All  four of my lenses are
Canadian.   Those six tools of mine have been the subject of derision by
some in here,  and if they were V___ or K___  RF cameras?  Whew!

I don't own them for anyone's approval.  I own them because I like to use
them.  Are they pretty?  Not very.  Well, maybe in an industrial sense, like
a nicely machined piston.

Most people (in the real world) have no idea that the camera rig I'm using
using may cost more than their car, or maintains value better, nor do they
care; and neither do I.

What I do care about is that some nice people get  trashed in here when they
try to ask a simple question, make a point, or even a joke,  by people who
seem to have forgotten to take  their medications.

Some talented people are opting out of the LUG, and that's a shame.  Others
will arrive, but they might be shy, and never  replace those colorful and
talented people who are leaving.

Regards,

SonC
http://www.SonC.com