Subject: Re: [Leica] Quitting the LUG
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:51:05 -0500

Jim wrote:
>Hi Steve:
>
>I put only 4 6x6 scans from Austin's Leafscan on my website a few weeks
>back and mentioned it on the LUG and RUG. Only a few people commented on
>them but I ended up having to pay a surcharge to my ISP because of the
>traffic generated. A _LOT_ of people looked at them but didn't make a
>comment.
I find the same thing. Lots of traffic at my site whenever I mention a
picture.

I am amazed that so many people can be subscribed yet only a handful post.
Hey lurkers - speak up!

>I'm curious, have you checked to see how many "hits" you get on your PAW
>site? Your pictures are great but I, (possibly along with many others)
>just don't know what to comment on... telling you that they are great
>seems superfluous.
Mostly we want to be entertained.
Have you ever replied to your TV - "great show, thanks for letting me
see"?
Hard to pull the needle of  the "entertainment IV"  from one's arm and
participate in life when so much of it is poured into your head.

>I do look at all the PAWS but don't often comment. Maybe I should but I
>don't want to get into compositional issues, ("too many pieces of paper
>in the foreground" and "you should have centered the main subject" etc)
>and then get a lot of useless flames.
Its interesting that a comment such as " I like it" or "good picture" can
generate any controversy, but somehow it does. I particularly enjoyed
Ted's comments because most of the time he could make them and not have
anyone start a gratuitous flame war.

But at even a controvery or flame war  surrounding a photo seems
appropriate for this list! At least its about a picture.

>I wouldn't have seen your work, Waldron's, BD's, Rabiner's famous
>scooters and many, many others if they were not LUGgers.
>
>I hope you don't quit.
Same for me! Hang in.

Best to all,
Henry