Subject: [Leica] Re:Portugal
From: "Edward Birch" <edwbirch@home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:28:05 -0400

> In a message dated 4/21/01 11:15:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> jbcollier@home.com writes:
>
> << Naw, I am just joking. I would not touch it with a ten foot pole! Made
>  anywhere else is okay though.
>   >>

> Why not, John? The highest quality Hondas in the world are made in Ohio -
USA
> - - ditto Toyotas in Kentucky - USA - ditto BMWs in Spartanburg South
> bloody-Carolina - USA - and ditto Mercedes-Benz in Grab-your-coat-and-hat
> Mississippi.......

Nope!  The Mercedes Benz assembly plant for the SUV is Vance, Alabama.  And
with all due respect to our Southern neighbors, quality control for the
early M series Benz was lacking somewhat.

Regarding Leica Cameras assembled in Portugal, many of us remember the R-3,
R-4 and early R-5 Leica's. These cameras did have electronics problems.
Production of the late R-5 was moved to Germany.

Presently, I'm listening to a Grundig Satellit 700 shortwave radio,
assembled in...... Portugal.

Edward Birch....

R5, M6, M3 and wartime IIIc.