Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 serial number
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:24:46 -0400

John Hudson jotted down the following:

> Would your opinion change if the sticker read "Made in China" ?

Nope.  I'm interested in them as functional cameras, capable of taking a
beating, and still holding up.  They are also sensuous objects, delightfully
designed, beautiful to behold and use.  And they take superb lenses.  These
are the qualities that I pay for.  As long as those qualities remain, it
couldn't care less where they'd been assembled.

Besides, it's a wonderfully naive notion to assume that -- in today's
manufacturing and global economic climate -- *anything* short of handcrafted
tourist crap is the product of a single country.  Especially complex
machines such as cameras, cars, computers, or whatnot.

When I buy a Leica, I'm more interested in the camera being designed,
manufactured, and tested by *Leica* than I am in it being done in a
particular country.

Kinda makes sense, don't'ya think?

M.

- --
Martin Howard                    | I was going to get onto the Information
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU      | Superhighway, but got stuck in a
email: howard.390@osu.edu        | traffic jam on the on-ramp.