Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:38:58 +0800

goldman@math.umn.edu wrote:
snip
>a minor flame war.
Not surprising when anything non-Leica  is discussed....

>(I am 60 years old).
In my part of the woods, seniority and experience is still highly regarded
and for good reasons too. Thank you for being so frank.

>With moderate background noise, I donąt hear the
>camera rewinding, and when I try to take a picture and get no response I
>can get momentarily confused. (The rewind on the classic Hexar is hard to
>hear at any time.)
That is correct. I am very comfortable using the Hexar RF because when
compared to the *average* camera people generally use (SLR, P&S) the Hexar
is not outstandingly noisy.

>The view is large and gives an interesting sense of being part of the
picture.
No doubt...we are talking about a 0.60x VF magnification here. Leica came
out later with a .58 M6 TTL. A boon to wide-angle enthusiast.

>The 90 framelines on an M6 is laughable (there I go again).
On a camera with 0.60x VF magnification, it's a tremendous effort to get
the focus right on! Something to do with optical physics.

>the RF finder is a little dimmer than an M, which doesnąt bother me.
Me neither!

>The sound of the shutter and motor are a bit sharp compared to an M body,
No comparison here because the M6 has no inherent motor.

> My Hexar RF focuses a little past infinity,
Not mine....on visual testing, my Hexar is spot on at infinity and the RF
does not decouple at close focus either.  Using it is like nirvana!

Bad thing is, I cannot understand why the Konica engineers could not have
even made the Hexar RF flash in TTL capability. After all, TTL flash is not
new. It's like shooting one in the foot after an outstanding performance. I
hope the gurus at Konica are listening to constructive criticism.

Dan K.