Subject: Re: [Leica] Demonstration/ WAS Welcome...
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:52:40 -0400

on 4/19/01 9:01 PM, Steve LeHuray at icommag@toad.net wrote:

> The problem with this thought, is, this is hardly a momentous event. Rather
> it is another of many protests against globalization.

Well, I dunno. Seattle, Washington... it's a series. Maybe Quebec will be in
there, maybe not. What I do think is interesting about this stuff is I don't
think the authorities really have any idea how to handle disorganized
generalised protest (nor would I). There is no coherent demand which can be
satisfied, any more than there was in Paris in 1968. This is where it
differs from the US Civil Rights movement and associated disturbances. In a
way it has more in common with the Rodney King riots when specific events
triggered an outburst of generalised and genuine disaffection and
disatisfaction.

When the epitome of liberal democracies, Canada, erects a wall around a
meeting of trade ministers it is a sign that they/we have severely run out
of ideas of ways of dealing with this. The wall is a very big, very strong,
very ineffective (in the long term) sticking plaster.

I really think all this is only the beginning. That is why to me it's an
interesting photographic subject and why I am sad not to be there.

I too got threatened by demonstrators last time. Well, I can deal with that.

As for my own politics, as I said to someone off list, a plague on both
their houses.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com