Subject: RE: [Leica] The sad tale of a Leica 'O'
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:35:04 +0100

V8PWR@aol.com wrote:

"Are you one of the buyers ? No problem to me . I am simply
reflecting a personnal opinion .
Again , I'm spelling it loud and clear , building such things is
simply waste of time .
I consider this camera as a key ring , nothing else .
and I think that in the price of every other serious Leica stuff ,
we pay a small amount for such a charm ."

No, nor am I likely to be. But these things sell at a profit, and don't use
up precious manufacturing resources (since they're made in the Far East), so
in all probability they're helping keep the price of Leica/Minox products
*down* rather than the reverse.

The same argument applies to the O-Series. Leica is short on R&D resources
and over capacity in manufacturing (we hear) so what better product to make
than a high margin item that needs zero R&D and uses up spare manufacturing
capacity?

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk