Subject: RE: [Leica] R8 serial number
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:01:05 -0500

There is a post in the archives where Martin Howard documented serial
numbers and problems.
Here is the link:

http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v18/msg11878.html

As far as changes, I know that Leica has revised the electronics at least
once to fix the aforementioned problem of locking up. The early electronics
were quite susceptible to static discharge and caused the cameras to lock.
Also problems with other things like the LCD panel on the back were worked
out after early cameras had problems. I don't believe any modifications have
been made to the specifications of the camera itself, only improvements to
the parts. But then this is what you would want to know if you were going to
buy a new one. You would not want an early serial number camera because of
the improvements made during the production life cycle.