Subject: Re: Too much: was Re: [Leica] europe on 1 roll a day
From: Pete Su <psu_13@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:07:14 -0700 (PDT)

How much film you take on a trip can be a hard thing to predict.

If the trip isn't primarily for photography, take less.

But, on trips where I have had an explicit goal to take home pictures, I find
that hedging for 1 or 2 rolls a day, at least, works out well.

This is especially the case if you are going to do some landscape stuff,
because you never know when the good light will be, but it's easy to burn 2 or
3 rolls in an hour if you get some.

I find I usually shoot somewhat less film if I'm walking around the city a lot,
or at least that it's much harder work. But there are still those times when
you will have a spurt of activity, and you don't want to run out of film when
that happens.

With 35mm, there is a tendency to take too many duplicate shots, or bracket too
much. I try to keep that down, but I would also rather shoot too much film than
lose a shot because I was trying to be frugal.

The most film I ever brought was probably around 20-30 rolls (slides and B&W)
for a one week trip to Seattle. And I shot it all too, and it was some of the
best stuff I ever did.

Pete