Subject: [Leica] new list
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@ision.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:08:23 +0200

After considerable thought, I have finally decided to create my own
list. It is focussed on the quest for and study of high quality
photographic imagery.
There is so much information and experience about this topic (also known
as image clarity or the imaging chain) at other lists like Minox,
Olympus or Pentax, that is being disregarded or mis-interpreted, but is
of high relevance to the pursuit of optimizing the
optical-mechanical-chemical  potential of the analogue photographic
process.
Anyone can post to the list, using whatever make of camera, but my
personal contributions will be Leica-biased.
There is only one requirement I wish to address: if you post results,
make sure there is a solid scientific basis for your results.
I would prefer this list to contain the most substantiated and
trustworthy facts  about this most fascinating and rewarding topic. As I
am aware that the quest for ultimate image quality transgresses the
borders of camera companies, I would  hope that this list can present
facts that are rewarding to anyone who is in the same area of interest
and can accept that most current photographic companies do deliver
products that need an objective assessment to be used in the most
rewarding way.
It is my conviction that the joy of photography is to be found in the
result, not the instrument. I am also convinced that the use of the
Leica camera (M and R) can enhance this joy considerably, but only when
the operator has an open eye to the general optical,  physical, chemical
and engineering basics that govern any photographic process and the way
Leica has implemented these facts and theories.
The wealth of knowledge that is collected by as example Minox or
Hasselblad users, is of interest to anyone in the same area of searching
for the ultimate in image quality and I am sure that sharing this
knowledge is a worthwhile effort that can benefit all, whatever the
choice of camera model.
The goal of this list would be to be a forum for ideas and methods for
image evaluation and methods and techniques for improving upon the state
of the art of image quality, which comprises all aspects of photography
from exposure to  development and enlargement and choice of materials
(films, lenses, cameras, tripods, filters, enlargers, etc).

The name