Subject: Re: [Leica] A nice Leica story. :-)
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:58:56 -0700

Ted Grant wrote:

> Hi guys & Gals,
>
> Today I gave a slide presentation to a small group of high school kids
> interested in photojournalism and becoming a photojournalist. They were
well
> informed on the history of photojournalism and knew of the Leica camera
> in relation to photojournalism..

Thanks, Ted, for sharing the story.

My first encounter with a Leica was during my years at high school (Ashbury
College, in Ottawa, where I was a boarding student) where the Latin
teacher's wife lent me her M3 with Rigid Summicron 50mm and Elmarit 90mm for
theatre work.  I was using my first "serious" camera, a Nikon FG, and was
struggling with lighting, and keeping everything steady.  Back then, there
was no faster film than Tri-X, except for Kodak Recording Film 2475 (?).

Shooting at ASA 800 / DIN 30, processing with Microdol 1:3 for 18 minutes at
20C, the combination with the Leica lenses were just amazing.  Handheld
shots at down to 1/15 were a breeze, and there were even some usable ones at
1/8.  I was truly converted then.

It wasn't until 15 years later that I bought my first Leica.  I am now in
the process of liquidating my Nikon equipment (thanks, Doug!) and have
become a total convert after all these years.  I will never look back.