Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicoid Digital.....
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:04:00 +0800

on 11/4/01 8:22 am, Steve Barbour at kididdoc@home.com wrote:

> Thanks Joseph...didn't know this... with what compromises or losses?
> -----   Steve
>
> From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
>

>> I don't know about M lenses, but you can certainly use Leica R lenses on
>> Canon EOS digital bodies, such as the D30.  Leica will probably never

Steve,

The compromises are:

1. Stopped down metering only
2. Limited exposure modes: only full manual, aperture priority auto, and TTL
flash are maintained.
3. Obviously, no auto focus
4. The very bright but low contrast screen of the EOS camera may render
manual focusing tricky.  I have a spilt-image screen fitted to my EOS1n.

Although you can use an R lens on the D30, I believe an R lens is wasted in
view of the resolution of the CMOS chip.   EF lenses are cheaper, just as
good in the case of the D30, and you retain all the fancy features.

Joseph

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Leicoid Digital.....)