Subject: Re: [Leica] design 2
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:15:32 -0700

>Actually, it goes a step or two further than that. If Tom A.s real world
>testing is to be believed - and why not? - 28 1.9 Cosina is damn close
>to the Summicron in everything except cost. So unless one is a
>rocks-and-barns-tripod-100as-slide-shooter, it seems illogical to spend
>the extra $1500 for a margin of difference one will never see in real
>world shooting. Sure, if money is absolutely no object, then what the
>heck, there is certainly no question the Leica lens is built better. But
>if money plays any part in decision making, the choice is pretty much a
>no-brainer. ;-)
>
>B. D.

To play devil's advocate here, according to the above logic we should all
be shooting Bessa Rs or Hexars with Cosina and Konica lenses.

I'm not opposed to using non-Leica gear - I already use the Cosina 25/4, 35
VF, and will soon buy their 21/4. I also recently bought a Jupiter 85/2.
But the above begs the question:

B.D., why do you buy and use Leica gear at all, when you can get less
expensive bodies and lenses demonstrating "a margin of difference one will
never see in real world shooting"?

Guy