Subject: Re: [Leica] mildly unbelievable, oops sorry OT on paperclips & memory
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 20:52:56 -0500

Whadya mean "we demand pictures" ?

Whitwell is about 130 miles east of where I live. Its about 30 miles west
of Chattanooga. I drive near it fairly often when I am on my way to kayak
the rivers in that area.

Near where you get off Interstate Highway 24 to then go to Whitwell is
the largest fireworks stand in the world I think. Its covered with neon
lights and sends up a glow that can be seen for quite a ways off. Its
what we call a Yankee Trap - where people from Detroit and Chicago stop
to buy things that are illegal where they live - kinda like the Alligator
Farms in Florida. (do they still exist?)

It is the most unlikely place that I can imagine for this story to occur
for exactly the reasons mentioned in the story sent in by Erminia.
Driving through the area early on Sunday morning about all you can find
on the radio are fundmentalist hell-fire and damnation religious shows
and a little country music.

That it seems so unlikely to us that it is happening in Whitwell exposes
our judgemental sides in a most unflattering way.

It is real and it is happening and it is really a sweet, wonderful lesson
for the kids and probably a lot of adults as well.

Henry