Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter 9 Lens Hoods
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 10:36:25 -0700

At 12:32 PM -0400 4/7/01, Michael E. Bérubé wrote:
>A puzzle for all the empirical engineer type minds on the list...
>
>On advice from the LUG, I found that the front threads of my Jupiter
>9 are 49mm. I looked yesterday at all of my local shops in the used
>bin and new racks for a lens hood and all of them are flared to too
>wide a diameter and block half of the 90 frame in my Bessa's VF. I
>really don't want to use an aux finder for a lens with a built in
>frame in camera so have decided to make my own hood with a 49mm UV
>filter (glass removed) and some non tapered dark metallic 50mm (or
>so) tubular material.
>
>My question is does anyone know from experience or formula, how far
>the hood should extend from the front element to provide maximum
>shade, without intruding on the image and darkening my corners?
>Thanks.
>
>Carpe Luminem,
>Michael E. Berube
>http://www.GoodPhotos.com

Put the lens on a camera, open the back, lock the shutter open on B,
and look through. If you can see all four corners of the film gate
through all parts of the lens, then the shade doesn't cut into the
light path.

This the easiest way, and is completely accurate.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com