Subject: Re: [Leica] UK VAT question.
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:07:05 EDT

I am pretty sure that this is the UK law (and so for the EU) but if you now
invoice your father for the true value he may be able to back-claim the
difference. If they had been sent to a VAT registered person in the UK, they
would have been able to claim the whole of the VAT back on the package. It is
to stop us all buying too much from outside the EU. I always mark the customs
form 'no commercial value' when mailing things to other countries. For the
future, does your father know anyone who is VAT registered who may help him.

He could also try talking to the local VAT office who are generally not as
unhelpful as you would think.

Gerry

Gerry Walden (UK)
Corporate & Stock Photography