Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexanon 60mm/1.2 LTM Mount
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:57:03 EDT

Horace, I have the 60/1,2 in LTM mount ( # 524 of 800). It is a massive lens,
looks somewhat like the old Noctilux 50/1,2. Optical quality is high,
probably on par with the Noctilux F 1, although I haven't shoot side by side
comparisons with the two. My judgement is based on the fact that they both
print well to 11x14. Build quality is high and focus/aperture rings are nice
and smooth. The finder is a bright line finder, looks like the old SBIOO
Leica finder or the Voigtlander finder. For some reason the finder and the
UV-filter supplied with the lens are chrome finished, but the lens is black.
I see these for sale in Tokyo for around US$1500-1600 (depending on the Yen/$
ratio). The interesting part is that it is a LTM mount and can be used on
screwmount Leicas or Bessa-R's. The lens is heavy enough that I would
recommend that you support the lens barrel with your hand and not let the
mount take all the weight! It is a good lens, sharp even wide open, very
shallow depth of field and in a pinch would substitute for a Noctilux. My
feeling is that wide-open and at 1.4 it performs better than the Summilux
50/1,4. Construction is based on the old 57/1,2 Konica SLR and LTM lens from
the 60's, but with updated coatings. Not bad, but only if you are dedicated
to hauling heavy stuff around! The finder needs to be taped in place, it
keeps sliding out of the shoe on my 0,85. I would hate to lose it as I do not
know if it is possible to replace it. The 60mm focallength works well as a
"tight" 50 for people shots.
All the best,
Tom A