Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: K64 vs. Provia F
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 05:37:59 +0200

I beg to differ. I have been shooting Kodachrome extensively since moving to
Switzerland a little over 1 year ago. My basic slide film is K64, replaced by
K200 when light conditions are bad. Sometimes I use K25 in my R8 when the light
is good and/or I am working with a tripod.

I do use the Provia F films as well, but when I have the slides on a light table
and look at them with a good loupe, or when I project them with my Leica
Colorplan projection lens, the Kodachrome slides clearly stand out in terms of
sharpness and crispness. Their color rendition is neutral, which is what I am
looking for.

Now, Provia 100F is an excellent film and would be my replacement for K64 if the
latter were to be discontinued or I moved away from Switzerland (when I lived in
Belgium, the quoted turnaround time for Kodachrome was 2-3 weeks, which I find
unacceptable; here in Switzerland it is 1 week which I can live with). And
Provia 400F is the best high-speed slide film I have ever seen and is now my
standard film for low light photography. But I still think that Kodachrome and
Leica lenses are a match made in heaven.

Nathan

Douglas Cooper wrote:

> Provia F is the closest I've found to perfection in a transparency, just as
> Reala is as close to perfect as I've seen in negative film.  I haven't spent
> much time with 400 F -- has anyone compared it rigorously with the 100?
> (Man, it would be nice if it were in the same league.)

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch