Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: film scanners
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:26:04 -0700

>  > >This is great information.  Does the LS-30 have USB
>>  connectivity?  I don't
>>  >think the LS-1000 does...
>>
>>  both are (Ultra) SCSI.
>
>SCSI II probably, but I doubt these are Ultra SCSI.  Do you have a URL that
>shows a spec sheet that they are Ultra SCSI?  I couldn't find anything on
>their web site, it's pretty lame...

They are SCSI II.

Also, there is one important difference between the LS-30 and the
LS-2000 which wasn't pointed out before. The LS-30 has a dynamic
range of 3.0, and the LS-2000 a dynamic range of 3.6. I know, I know;
these are the manufacturer's numbers and are not standardized, but
Nikon seems fairly consistent within its own specs. I've tried both,
as well as the Polaroid SS4000 (which claims an 'optical density' of
3.4) and the specifications seem to be born out on a relative scale.
The LS-30, in my estimation, is a fine scanner for color negative
film and some B&W material, while the LS-2000 is better for reversal
film, especially slower material with a higher on-film dynamic range.
Multi-scanning effectively increases the dynamic range slightly by
subduing the background noise.

At present I use the LS-2000 as my tests indicated a noticeably
greater dynamic range with the Nikon than the Polaroid in a side by
side test, which for my purposes was more important than the greater
resolution of the SS4000.

If the dynamic range of the Nikon 4000 and 8000 as stated (in Nikon's
terms) is 4.2, then the promise of a desktop scanner that is truly
useable with films like Velvia and Kodachrome is indeed closer.
Sounds like a true step forward.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design