Subject: [Leica] [leica] Help re VUESCAN
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:01:34 -0400

Any VUESCAN users out there?
I have been using it for my Minolta Scan Dual for over a year, and with
astounding results- at least for me! I get such large high resolution scans
from  the scanner with VUESCAN, that I am afraid that I would not be able to
handle files made with a 4000dpi scanner!
I mean, when you can get a 450MB TIF file, that resolves the grain before
the pixilation is evident, what more can you ask for? Molecular images of
the silver grains? :o)
My problem is that I got a Hewlett Packard 5370c flatbed scanner- both for
the ability to do images, and because it seems to have a fairly decent
transparency scanning adapter that I can use for my MF negatives. The
scanner woorks well enough with the bundles software, but when I try to use
VUESCAN 7.08, it doesn't scan the whole area- it seems to advance the
scanning head, then reverse- sort of two steps forward, one step back! The
preview image is a multicolored 'hash' and I have not seen an address to
which to address the problem to Mr. Hamirick
Has anyone else had this problem- specifically, has anyone with this model
of HP scannner had the problem, and if not, is it possible that the scanner
is at fault (defective?) even though it performs perfectly in every other
respect.
I am running a 450MHZ AMD K-6II processor, with 256M RAM, and using the USB
port for accessing the scanner. I feel that if I can get VUESCAN to work
with this scanner, then I will get much better scans from the MF negatives
on which I have been experimenting.
As always, I really appreciate the widely varied base of know-how that the
LUG brings to the internet... I figure if I throw a little flattery out,
then someone may be more inclined to respond!!!
As an aside, I think this guy, Hamrick, has what is much like a Leica of
scanning software!!! He is a small, underfunded, under capitalized
enterprise that happens to have a gang-busters product, better than most out
there.... maybe he should charge more for it! As I recall, VUESCAN came free
when I bought VUEPRINT, which I don't use nearly as much!!! Maybe Hermes
will buy him out, and retain him as a software designer, and he might then
write a truly GUI interface, or even turn it into a Photoshop Plug-in, or
Corel Plug-in.
Dan :o)

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] [leica] Help re VUESCAN)
Reply from "Julian Thomas" <julianthomas@terra.es> (Re: [Leica] [leica] Help re VUESCAN)