Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin's Leica Lens Compendium
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 16:46:27 -0700

At 5:14 PM -0400 4/1/01, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
>Mark:
>
>I have no problem with a thing you've written except the suggestion that the
>DR Summicron is a low contrast lens. It is not. The current formula does have
>higher contrast, but that does not mean that the older lens is low contrast.
>
>Best,      Seth

I'm with Mark on this. The DR Summicrons I've used have definitely
been in the 'resolution ahead of contrast' camp. The newer -
especially the latest formulation - lenses have lost little in
resolution, but balanced it with better contrast. Again, which lens
is actually 'better' depends on what you do with it when, but I think
Leica made the right choices. As for build quality; yes, the DR
Summicron is a tank, but I'm glad not all my photo equipment is made
with a similar philosophy, as otherwise I would need a strong
assistant on every job. There comes a point in every shoot where you
have to lift the equipment.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design