Subject: [Leica] Bessa T, 29/1,9 and 21/4 (long!)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 03:15:16 EDT

  I have now had a month to use the Bessa-T and the 28/1,9 Ultron and the=20
21/4 Color-Skopar. The initial novelty has worn off and it is now time to pu=
t=20
down some longer-term emotions about the camera and lenses.
 The Bessa-T is a somewhat idiosyncratic camera. The lack of a viewfinder wa=
s=20
something that I thought would irritate me, but to a great extent, it is a=20
non-issue. The availability of external finders and the quality of these=20
finders is such that it is a pleasure to shoot with them (be it Leica or=20
Cosina/Voigtlander finders), when it is convenient to do so. There are times=
=20
when you wish for an integrated viewfinder/rangefinder, particularly with=20
longer lenses and in fast shooting situations.
 The camera is more comfortable than the Bessa-R insofar that it feels more=20
solid. I have not taken it apart, but from pure tactile feel, the top-plate=20
is now cast alloy and this "deadens" the shutter sound somewhat. It is still=
=20
noisier than an M, but part of that is the shutter-system with the double=20
curtain (the first curtain is a light baffle as well as the metering surface=
,=20
the second is the actual shutter). The higher flash synch (1/125) and=20
top-speed (1/2000) necessitates a metal shutter.
 The filmadvance arm is now ratcheted and will no longer stick out when you=20
get to the end of the film (as is does on the Bessa-L and R) and, yes it is=20
black on the black camera! The back door has a more solid feel to it too. I=20
do not know if it has a different material or a heavier base than the=20
Bessa-R/L door. It feels more solid anyway.
 The M-bayonet is right on the button. No excessive force is needed to mount=
=20
M-lenses and the lock clicks in with a positive feel. I tried it with about=20
20 different lenses and so far all have mounted true and coupled to the=20
rangefinder. Just like the Bessa-R/L, if you use the collapsible 50/90 mm=20
lenses, you cant push the lens all the way in. It stops about =BC" from the=20
fully collapsed position as there is a ledge at the back of the shutter=20
"crate" that interferes. It does clear the sensor for the meter though. The=20
Russar 20/5,6 cant be used on the Bessa's either as the rear element=20
protrudes deep enough to catch on the same ledge. The lens will mount, but=20
you cannot focus to infinity as the barrel jams against the ledge. Too bad a=
s=20
it would be a nifty lens to use on the Bessa-L!
 The meter is the same as the VC-meter, the Bessa-R and L and one can only=20
state that it works flawlessly. I suspect that the M6 TTL is slightly more=20
sensitive in the extreme low light, but on the Bessa's the batteries are mor=
e=20
likely to be still OK.=20
 I have tried the Bessa-T with lenses from 21mm to 75mm focal length (still=20
have not found my 90mm finder!) and speeds ranging from f4 to the Noctilux a=
t=20
f1 and the Summilux at 1,4. Only fuzzy shots have been through my own=20
mistake. The rangefinder works very well, even shooting the Noctilux at f1=20
and at 4 feet was fine. The 75/1,4 did show some mis-focus at extreme=20
close-up, but that could have been my doing. It was a bit of a hit and miss.=
=20
At 1,5meter, it was dead on, but at closest focus, there was a small shift.
 Using the longer lenses (50mm and more) is a bit cumbersome. You need to=20
frame in the top-finder, go to rangefinder for focus and then back to=20
top-finder. It is slower but if you are in no hurry, it works well. The=20
advantage is that you are using the larger magnification of the external=20
finders and framing is more effective.
 The best lenses for the Bessa-T are the wider ones. The 24/2,8 Asph usually=
=20
lingers in my bag with little or no use. It has gotten a new lease on life=20
with the Bessa-T. Even the 28 focal length is highly manageable and the 21 i=
s=20
of course a breeze as it has lots of depth of field to play with. I did a=20
couple of rolls with the 35/1,4 Asph and the T. It was great street shooting=
=20
package. You can set hyperfocal and fine-tune it with the rangefinder and=20
even shoot without looking through the external finder. The 35mm is an easy=20
focal length to estimate coverage on anyway.
 The Bessa-T's trigger-winder is convenient (but I am biased to=20
triggerwinders) and it has started to smooth out with use. There is still a=20
bit of inertia when you start the stroke, but the "high" spot =BD way throug=
h=20
the cycle has vanished. The lever lock down mechanism is cute, but suffers=20
from being too easy to disengage. Small and light anyway and the fact that=20
you can attach the strap on a vertical mode is a benefit.
 Conclusion is that the Bessa-T is a good back-up to a M camera and at US$=20
450, it is cheap enough to dedicate a body to a lens, a 21,24 or 28 with=20
finder will suit fine. Quality feels higher than the Bessa-L or R and the=20
rangefinder is very good, bright and contrasty with a good diopter control.=20
For street shooting, I would add the Trigger-winder (but then I would,=20
wouldn't I?). It is still cheaper than a used CL and I feel that the T is a=20
better deal. Long base rangefinder, better meter and feels more solid. The=20
1/125 flash synch is another advantage - stick one of the Voigtlander double=
=20
shoes on the top and run the sensor from the flash in one shoe and the finde=
r=20
in the other. No, it is not a TTL camera, standard flash synch contact on th=
e=20
left side of the camera.
 For those who wondered, the Noctilux will not block the rangefinder. You ca=
n=20
vaguely see the barrel of the lens in the lower left of the rangefinder, but=
=20
not enough to throw it out. My Noctilux is a late one with the collapsible=20
hood (which is less blocking than the old style) so old style Nocti's might=20
have a problem. I tried my 60/1,2 Hexanon on the Bessa-T. That lens and hood=
=20
did block the rangefinder.

The 28/1,9 Ultron. Very good lens! I have shot a fair bit of 100 ASA black=20
and white with it over the last couple of weeks. Contrast is good, slightly=20
lower than the Summicron 28/2, but not enough of a difference to worry about=
.=20
It works out to about =BD grade in the multigrade pack on the enlarger. Cent=
er=20
sharpness wide-open is remarkable, at least equal to the 28/2. The Summicron=
=20
is crisper in the corners wide-open (it takes a 15-20 times magnifier to see=
,=20
not a big deal). Once you hit f2,8 there is no visible difference between th=
e=20
two lenses! I don't have a 28/2 here, but I have 5-6 rolls that I shot in=20
Germany last September with it, bright sun and Delta 100 so I caught the sun=
=20
here and shoot similar subjects again with 100 ASA film. Not scientific, but=
=20
close enough for me. The hood on the Ultron 28/1,9 blocks the viewfinder=20
significantly less than the hood on the 28/2. Particularly when used on the=20
M6TTL 0,58. The Ultron also has a small, drop-shaped focus-lever that screws=
=20
into the barrel. Makes it easy to scale focus for quick stuff. Conclusion,=20
with approximately $1400 difference in the price (Ultron 28/1,9 $550 and=20
Summicron 28/2 at $ 1950) it is a no-brainer in my book! $ 1400 buys another=
=20
M6 body used or a rather large volume of film instead!

 The 21/4 Color-Skopar. The all time bargain lens by Voigtlander. At $ 350=20
with the finder, it is a jewel. It is small, same barrel as the 25/4=20
Snap-Shot Skopar and lightweight. It does couple to the rangefinder on the=20
LTM or  M camera. It has a similar focus lever as the 28/1,9. The finder is=20
as good as the Leica 21 finder (almost the same price as the 21/4+ its=20
finder!). Optical quality is very good. If you have used the 25/4 Skopar, yo=
u=20
will recognize the quality. Sharp and contrasty with a remarkable lack of=20
fall- off in the edges. Just from looking at the negs, less fall-off than th=
e=20
21/3,4 has. It has now found a permanent home in my camera bag. It is small=20
enough that you can stick the lens/finder combo in the pocket and have a=20
really wide lens available, without the burden of a 21/2,8. It is not a=20
21/2,8 Aspherical, but it probably comes within spitting distance at about=20
1/6 of the cost. It has an another advantage, it is a lens that you probably=
=20
will leave in the pocket of your jacket or in your bag. This means that=20
rather than going "Boy, do I wish I had a 21 here now" - you now have one=20
along. The 21/2,8 Asph is not a lens that you drag around frivolously - the=20
21/4 and its finder occupies about the same space as 2-3 rolls of film! Oh,=20
remember, you can use the 21/4 on a LTM Leica too!
Testing will continue of all of these products. I saved enough money not=20
buying the 28/2 and sticking with the 28/1,9 that I have ordered a 0-series=20
Leica. Now testing that one will be fun!
All the best,
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC