Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding Photography
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:59:55 -0600

snipped a lot:
>I am always invited to eat, never allow myself to be ordered around or
>bombarded and usually welcome the opportunity to help others improve their
>photographs. I am usually treated as a valued guest and love doing all that
>I can to make sure the B&G's day goes well.
>
>Maybe I'm just an odd duck in the business but that's how I get referrals
>and my business keeps chugging on.
>

>Carpe Luminem,
>Michael E. Bérubé

Michael,
I don't think you're so odd on this issue. Here's what I think:

Weddings have a bad reputation I think because many photographers do them
ONLY FOR MONEY. Not because they love shooting them. Those same guys are
part of what gives wedding photographers a bad reputation. They are the
same ones who make the wedding day into a sales event, shooting only with
print and album sales in mind. I recently experienced one of these at my
sons wedding. He kept the B&G for 45 minutes after the ceremony shooting
endless variations.

Notice how Ted described what he offers wedding clients?
He tells the client how he does it and then he delivers.
The answer is to NOT do a job you hate. Pass those on to someone who will
enjoy them, who's style fits the job.

If you understand what's happening on the big day it does not have to be
distressing, you just deal with your clients as humans and have a good
time - just as you said above.

Sure you have to make the pictures. But the time to offer what you will
and will not do is long past so just do your job as well as you can and
get on with it! Pay 100% attention to your task and when its done
everyone's happy. If they're not happy its probably because you did not
have an adequate understanding BEFORE you took the job.

Not speaking for Mark or anyone else.

Henry