Subject: RE: [Leica] Questions re New Leica M Winder
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:14:16 -0800

I just got my Motor-M last Saturday. Anyone who has used an MD-12 on a Nikon FM2 will have some feel for the size and ergonomics of this drive. I like it better than the Rapidwinder/Rapidgrip combo I just sold, mostly because it's a motor and doesn't require any additional action to wind the film.  As an M-Grip devotee I like the feel of the battery- compartment/grip on the new motor.  There have been some questions as to how sturdy the battery compartment will prove when using heavy lenses.  I tried it with my 75 and I'm satisfied that it will be strong enough for regular use.

I have one quibble with its operation, and I don't think Leica can do anything about it. The shutter release backlash is very noticeable after each shot, but what's worse is that if I mash the shutter button and hold it down, the motor will not advance the film. This means that for continuous shooting you need to keep light pressure on the button and let it bounce up and down.

It does make the sleek M6 a bit unwieldy, though not as much as the original Winder-M, IMO.

The closest to an apples-to-apples comparison I've been able to make is with the motor on the Hexar RF.  The Hexar's motor is lighter, faster, a bit quieter, not as quirky and rewinds the film as well as winding it. When you compare the cost of the RF to the cost of a .58 M6TTL with the motor, and then factor in the better electronics, more flexible shutter and lighter weight of the RF, the Motor-M doesn't look like such a good deal.

Two positive things about the Motor&M6 compared to the Hexar are that you can use the motor on .72 and .85 bodies, and you can turn it off and use your thumb if you want, while the Hexar motor is required all the time. It's certainly the best winding gizmo Leica has ever come out with for the M.

Paul