Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding Photography
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:25:54 -0500

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> While I believe your characterization of the photog in question is correct, I've got a story about handing over the film.
>
> My best friend's son hired a husband and wife team to shoot his wedding in upstate NY.  They came very highly recommended fron New York City, and shot a pure PJ style.  All 35mm, b&w (TMY if memory serves), done on Nikons with zoom lenses, just a few setups (poorly done), 90% candids.  I don't know if the B&G had seen any samples of their work.  They were commercial photographers who were branching out into this style of wedding.  They shot from the mid-morning, through the afternoon wedding, and through the reception dinner.  At the end they handed over about 12 36-exposure rolls of film, collected their check, and disappeared into the night.
>
> My buddy had the film processed and contacted at a local pro lab, and invited me over to help do the initial edit.  I was horrified at the (lack of) quality. We finally found a dozen pictures that told the story and looked good.  The check?  It was for $8000 USD.  To paraphrase PT Barnum, there's a couple born every minute.
>
> IMO 35mm and weddings just don't mix if money is changing hands.  But that's just me, I suppose.
>
> Paul
The story is certainly a horrifying one, but I would suggest that it has
to do with a lack of photgraphic talent/skill on the part of the
shooters, rather than the film size or format. 35mm can be used to
stunning effect to cover weddings - with, or without - formals, although
I myself wouldn't want them and don't like doing them. But I'd always
rather have photos that tell the story of an important life event,
shared with friends and family, rather than a bunch of stilted photos,
no matter how well done, of bride and groom posing in outfits they will
never wear again, looking just like every other bride and groom that
have ever been photographed.

B. D.