Subject: [Leica] Dust in New Lenses
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:41:57 -0600

> I am new to the Leica family of cameras having previously used Canon
> cameras for many years. My dream camera was an R8. I purchased this
> recently along with three lenses and a motor-drive. The lenses are a 28-70
> F3.5-4.5, a 80-200 F4.0, and a 100mm F2.8 macro with the Elpro macro lens
> adapter. All equipment was purchased new with USA warranties. My problem
> that I have is ALL three of the lenses have dust in them. The 28-70 also
> has what looks like a film on the inside of the rear element. I know that
> both of the zooms are made in Japan and the 100mm is made in Germany. But
> they all have dust and contamination of some sort in them. The 100mm lens
> also has a loose aperture ring. When 2.8 is selected the diaphragm pops
> back into the lens about a sixteenth of an inch. I sent the 28-70mm and
> the 100mm back to the dealer that I bought it from and the sent me a new
> 28-70mm. They didn't have a new 100mm so they had Leica drop ship me a new
> lens. The lens that Leica sent me is worse than the first lens. The first
> lens had dust and spots on the lens coating. I was shocked by what appears
> to be poor quality in all three of these lenses. I have read many articles
> on this site regarding this issue and I know that dust eventually will be
> a way of life for most lenses. But all three of the lenses are brand new
> and I paid a small fortune for them. I felt this was unacceptable and sent
> all three lenses directly back to Leica in NJ. I also sent a complaint by
> e-mail to the customer service person a Ms. Olesin in NJ, and to Horst
> Braun in Germany. Ms. Olesin called me a couple of days ago and said that
> Germany had forwarded my complaint to her. I told her that I was shipping
> back all three lenses and that I was very unhappy with the quality. She
> said that when they arrive they will inspect them and let me know. Should
> I expect Leica to send me all new lenses? Does anyone out there feel I am
> being unreasonable considering the amount of money they cost? It would
> help my position with them if I knew of other experiences like this and
> what Leica did in their case.
>
> Tom Henson - Houston

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain
confidential or privileged material and is intended only for
the intended recipient.  Any review, distribution, copying
or use of the information contained in or transmitted with
this message by anyone else is prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender
or postmaster@bakerbotts.com and delete all copies of
the message.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Dust in New Lenses)