Subject: Re: [Leica] Help! Perplexing development problem (D400/Xtol)
From: norman_milks@mailg.pribilofs.k12.ak.us (Norman Milks)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:50:37 -0800

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:21:05 -0500
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>

<snip>
I agree completely. For available light work of human beings YOU NEED SPEED
IN 4x5. 400 is a minimum. I am about to try 25 sheets of T400 CN which is
supposed to be eminently shootable @ 800. But I could use another stop.
<snip>

This is a little off the subject of T 400 CN 4x5, but maybe you can give
me some advice on this film, some other B & W film, or even higher speed
color film.  I'm trying to document the lives of my newest grandsons.  All
grandchilren are special, but these guys are identical triplet boys.  They
are about 16 months now and just won't hold still anymore.  I'm mainly
crawling around with my Summicron 35 and 50 F2s trying to capture their
play, not only individually, but more as a group.  I "need speed."  As
they live in Anchorage I've been struggling under available darkness this
winter (and absent a Nocti) without much satisfying result. The TMZ that I
tried had more grain than I would like.  Yes, we are finally coming out of
the long sleep up here, and this will allow for some slower stuff, but I
want to be ready for the next year's long dark.  I've heard on here that
the  T 400 CN is without archival property.  But, notwithstanding that,
how is it pushed to 800 in 35mm?  I have a closet darkroom that I could
process film.  What would be a consistent B&W film/developer combo that I
could shoot at several speeds.  I've seen a lot of discussion on Delta and
and XTOL mixed at varying ratios.  I want to keep it fairly simple, but
I'll to do whatever it takes to document these kids.  I would like to
enlarge a few from time to time to whatever size may be optimum.   As soon
as I figure out how to put some photos on a website, I'll show 'em off
(the boys, anyway)!  Thanks.

Norman
St. George Island, Alaska