Subject: Re: [Leica] A question for collectors - M4 Midland (black chrome)
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:15:49 -0500

I was given a couple of Steinheil-Culminar 135/f4 LTM lenses, and since they
don't sell for doodly on *YOU KNOW WHERE*, I decided to see if I could clean
one and see what it might do.
I disassembled the 'head, cleaned the glass and the aperture blades and
tried it out. I was pretty surprised at the images I got- not half bad, and
nearly as good as those I get from a Hektor 135.
Has anyone else used this optic? It has an aluminium barrel high reminiscent
of the Russian 135 I used to have, and is not as sturdy as the Hektor, but
surprisingly sharp.

I also picked up a handy device that I had never seen before; it is a
combination loupe and film marker. It is marked "E. Leitz -Wetzlar" has a
nickel plated brass body, and a doublet that appears to have a PCX lens
nearest the eye, and double concave lens in the adjustable barrel with a
magnification of about 4x-5x. The front has a pair of grooves that hold the
edge of a strip of negatives, and a small punch is mounted so that you can
view a negative, and if you want, mark it with a little semi-circular 'bite'
out of the edge of the strip. I haven't checked out the Laney book, but it
is one of the most interesting bits of Leicana I've run across- and useful,
as well!!

Dan