Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: SNAPS & England & the LHS: NOW "snaps use"
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:41:34 -0800

henry wrote:

> >God I hate going to a gallery and looking at a wall full of "gelatin
> >silver" prints - even when they're nice snaps. The value system implicit
> >in that naming convention (and "giclee") irks me no end.
> >
> >Paul
>
> Isn't that the truth.
> Last December I was in Chicago and saw some great photography. Some not
> so nice. Some really bad stuff hanging on museum walls that could have
> used the space better by thumbtacking the newspaper up.
>
>  They were nearly all called with pretentious names for their process;
> gelatin silver, chromogenic print, and so on. I wonder what the makers
> called them? I did notice that they did not label the famous PAINTINGS.
> Nobody seemed to care what the VanGogh was painted with. Why the
> preoccupation with how the photo print is made?
>
> Henry

The fact that Van Gogh painted in the new just out tubes really is an influence
and why he was what he was.
The photo equivalent of hand held photography. Paint never came in tubes and
that's what kept the painters in their studios.
Van Gogh got to go "on location" and paint the light as it has happening.
Of course the lead in the tubes got him ending up with one less ear!
WHAT?!!!
"ear to day gone tomorrow."
I say: (check the archives)
"IS THIS A JELLO PRINT!!!!?"

THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR JELLO!!!!!
	(Depending on the supporting substrate of course!)

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA
Updated ALL MY DESIGN webpage!!