Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter 85mm f2
From: Stanislaw Stawowy <watteau@email.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:16:48 -0500 (EST)

> Theft is theft, and you are making artificial
distinctions.  Trespass vis et armis is
> not the basis for the use of someone else's intellectual
property, whether you are
> Soviet or Japanese.

Please note that vox populi, vox dei, so, because Russians
were more than Japanese, they were right :-)
Actually I apparently don't know as much as you or Marc
about Zeiss postwar story, so I can only argue that I would
rather accept Russians than Japanese excuse. But this is
just a my feeling...

> Soviet or Japanese.  The Soviets got away with it (1)
because they were not exporting
> to the West,,

What about Hasselblad copying story then? And changing of
lens mount?

> (2) no one cared to rattle their cage, and (3) everyone
was
> Leica-obssessed.

..along with Russians, but they already had Leica copies
before war... Along with Industar 22 Elmar copies. And AFAIK
they also had a 2/50 collapsible lens in that time. Anybody
knows anything about this one?

> > Also, Russians not only copied designs, they made a
whole lot of
> > very good and unusual lenses
>
> Not for Leica.  The common production models (35, 50, 85,
and 135) were all
> derivative of Zeiss designs.

Yes and no. Please consider 2.8/52 FED lenses for example.
Or 3.5/50 macro lens. Before war, they had 4.5/28 lens
before war, and it wasn't a Ektar copy as far as I remember.
.. And was quite popular, as I had one (and hope to have it
back from a friend).
Also, if we are talking Leica copying, please note their
innovations at this field, like FED series, LTM with
synchro, lever, removable back.. (I suppose you know all
this, U just mention it to make excuse for myself :),
sometimes built-in lightmeters (Fed 4C). What about Drug,
with 50+85 framelines and Leicavit - like film advance?
Leningrad with spring motor?
Stereo adapter for Leica copies?

> I guess you've never seen the Nikkor 85, the Jupiter and
the Sonnar in one place.

OK, forgot to mention. I was talking mainly about optical
assembly..

Again, please excuse me minor missteaks :) Just returned
hungry from work, and, because satur venter non student
dicenter, I can hardly thing about anything other than
steaks. Not micesteaks :)
St.