Subject: Re: [Leica] snapshot! insult or compliment?
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 07:13:06 -0800

Steve wrote:
> [...]
professional photographer, Sal Dimarco sign his posts here with "Happy
Snaps" ??? I know Sal well enough to know he is NOT dismissing anybody's
photography.<<<<<<

Guy Bennett responded:

> It might be interesting to ask the professionals on the list that would be
> inclined to answer if they feel the term "snapshot" is an appropriate
label
> for their work. Perhaps they could explain why it is or isn't.
>
> I don't ask this to start a flame war, but rather to see what the general
> consensus is on the notion of the "snapshot" among professionals as it
> might apply to their own work. My own feeling is that it is a pejorative
> term and I suspect that pros would not view their work in this way, but I
> could be wrong.<<<<<

Hi Guys & Gals,
I'm sure Sal uses "Happy Snaps" on sign off as in the theatre when they say,
":Break a leg." before a performance.  meaning "good luck or in Sals case,
"good shooting."

The use of "Happy Snaps, snap shots or snaps" when relating to my
photographs depends on who's using the terms, if it's me that's OK.   If
it's being applied and the speaker is some smart ass trying to do a put down
in a derogatory manner he better duck!  Particularly if what he's referring
to is some cracker jack stuff!

However, the terms can also be a form of "admiration or flattery" when it's
a tongue in cheek comment when you've just blown away a viewer and they are
having fun in their description.

It depends on who is using the wording and what inflection / tone of the
voice as well as whether meant in praise or put down.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant