Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: "jbflesher" <jbflesher@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 21:33:01 -0800

Austin:

Some FYI's...

>What 645 were you using?  It must have been a real dog if your results are
as you say.<

Pentax 645 (non af) and Mamiya 645 Pro AE. Neither knocked my socks off. The
Pentax's meter was only accurate to about 1/2 stop, but the lenses were very
good. The Mamiya's lenses were just okay, but the meter was great. I can
load my Leica M faster than I could load either of them. They both were
slower to focus, were heavier, slower to use, and in the end the results
just weren't that much beter than my high-end 35's at 11X.

>What's this obsession with tripods?  You complain about the trouble
carrying
a MF camera around, but you'd LUG a useless tripod around?  Tripods are for
studios and "camera guys" ;-)<

Here I was referring primarily to the use of my RZ 67, which is essentially
tripod-bound due to its size and weight. But for most of the others
including my Mamiya M7, the lenses were so slow that a tripod was necessary
in low light situations. All of the reflex bodies had tremendous mirror
flop, so the use of a mirror up & cable release was also required if you
expected really sharp images -- (And, if I was going to go through all that
bother, why not just use the LF system?)

Other bits and pieces: My hasselblad and I just did not get along
functionally or ergonomically; and my Mamiya Universal/Press system was too
big, and we did not get along very well ergonomically either; however both
had great, albeit slow, optics. My M7 was very light, had a decent meter,
great lenses, but a terrible RF system; slow to use and poor frameline
accuracy. The RZ was okay to load, the M7 easy. Of the lot, the RZ is the
one I miss the most, and would buy again if I ever have the need for an MF
system -- superb optics and superb meter in the AE finder.

Cheers,

Jack