Subject: Re: [Leica] new test of new delta 400
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:50:07 +0100

Hm, if test results confirm Ilford's product description, there is
indeed a possiblity that tester and manufacturer are honest. Can that
be? Today? .-)

Coming back to the 400 and beyond question, XP2 and TCN offer a combo of
image quality, exposure latitude and easy printabilty that is hard to
beat, unless you absolutely want to develop b&w film at home and
unquestioned archival quality. Cheap and convient processing and proof
printing at drugstores or one hour labs, at least for me as an amateur,
is another bonus.

I compared Delta 400 (old) and HP5+ side by side and found for me that
the finer grain and resolution is not worth the extra hassle when
printing. I also like you use my older, unmetered cameras. I am however
not a breadearning pro, but an amateur playing with cameras and shooting
film for fun.

I don't have that much lab practice as the pros and semi-pros on the
list. Sometimes, I screw up things and this rather more often than a
consumer lab. Over the years I lost only one (120) film that way. I keep
that in mind when I look at the theoretically inferior archival quality
of XP2/TCN. Sometimes I even give HP5+ to the drugstore, with
surprisingly good results. For processing at home, I feel safer with
HP5+.

Hans-Peter