Subject: Re: [Leica] snapshot! insult or compliment?
From: "mdelman" <mdelman@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:28:52 -0500

Hi gang, here's how I differentiate snapshots from more artful(?)
photographs:

Artful photographs:  These convey meaning to a broad audience.  Think of the
Life Magazine picture of the soldier kissing the nurse in Times Square at
the end of WWII.  Everyone understands the meaning of that photograph -- the
country's joy at the close of the war.
In other words, the picture has narrative power.

Snapshot:  A record of an event which has meaning to the people who are in
the photo and the person who took the photo.  It has limited, or no,
narrative value to people who participated.  Think of a typical snapshot --
two people, posed awkwardly, standing next to each other.  Are they husband
and wife? Friends? Are they happy? When and where was this picture taken?

Do we know anything about the context of the above described picture? Nope.
It only has meaning to the people who are involved.  The photo will serve as
a memory trigger for those people who view it at a later date.  Example:
That's picture was taken in the backyard of our aunts house the time we had
that big family barbecue..... yada yada.

Let me know what the rest of you think.