Subject: [Leica] film or flatbed?
From: "BT" <smpat@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:25:06 -0000

>>3)  Another Leica expert told me to go with a print scanner rather than
>>setting up my old Beseler enlarger.  I honestly don't know anything about
>>the quality of scanners or digital for that matter.  Would a scanner
provide
>>the same image quality as an enlarger with a high quality lens?
>>Thanks again for all of your information.
>>J. P. Mose

>If you are going to go digital you want a FILM scanner and a printer.
>They can provide very high quality prints. Pretty big learning curve and
>worth it. If possible set up your enlarger as well and have the best of
>both worlds.

Well, for an introduction to digital, I agree with the Leica "expert" :-)
(must be one of you guys - 'fess up!)

A decent print scanner is US$50 now, and may even come with a usable imaging
program. For an investment of $50 - $100 Henry can see if he enjoys digital
manipulations and learn the basics. Heck of a lot cheaper than springing for
a Nikon or Kodak (etc.) film scanner (and he would still want a flatbed).

Steve Patriquen
London