Subject: [Leica] Organizing images
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:45:04 -0500

Steve wrote:

I have been saving my images (and data ) on CD-R 's that are beginning to
pile up. What PC / windows program is optimal  to organize  photos from
multiple CD's, on the PC  with a compact database of thumbnails?......
I suspect this sort of  program must already  exist... if not (sheeeesh) we
need to get busy......thanks,

*********************************

I've been trapped behind my computer for the last couple of months
organizing all of my digital images....  I had several hundred images with
untitled as part of their filename on my two hard drives....  and several
dozen CD's

I'm using Extensis Portfolio and really like the way it works..... it's not
free, but quite often you get what you pay for.  It is fairly easy to add
searchable keywords and you can customize views, catalogs and galleries
etc...   You can rename files and move them easily as well.

In my situation I often make CD's of images to send to various places around
the world.  I can put the browser software on the CD and set it up so the
viewer clicks on an Icon and they can view and search through all images on
the CD.

I can also give them a catalog of every image I have on file, but they can
only view the thumbnails, if they click to view a larger image, it will
prompt them to insert the CD the original file is located on.

The biggest hurdle is organizing images is designing a filename system for
your images to avoid duplicates... My system is a 3 letter subject code, a 4
digit unique image code for that subject, followed by a single letter that
refers to the pixel dimensions of the image.

For example  ELS0025R  is an image of our English language service, it is
image 25 and it is around 1200x1600 pixels... jpeg'd to around 1.3mb.

ELS0025P is the same image as above, but is sized and compressed for a Power
Point presentation and runs around 120K...

E-images are something that you have to be organized or you will be reduced
to tears in a short period of time if you have a lot of them.... and once
you start shooting digital, it really gets insane.....   I know this from
experience...

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador: