Subject: Re: [Leica] Military Photographers and Spelling: Argh!
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:17:05 -0500

At 05:04 PM 3/22/01 -0500, Marc James Small wrote:
>At 02:52 PM 3/22/2001 -0500, Michael E. Bérubé wrote:
> >I did
> >photograph a LOT of ordinance, but it was all being shot into the empty
> >range for testing and practice.
>
>You can issue 'em a uniform and give 'em a camera, but some days you can't
>teach 'em the basics of life. The word is ORDNANCE.  An "ordinance" is a
>statute passed by local government, such as a city council or county Board
>of Supervisors.

A thousand pardons. Right you are. I'm also in local politics and deal with
Ordinances now and have not used the word Ordnance much since getting out
of the IRR in 93.

>ORDNANCE is military gear, and the ORDNANCE CORPS are the
>guys who make the rest of the Army get their jobs done.

Well, yes that's a partial definition. I photographed ordnance of all types
being tested in Ft. Greely, AK but in WSMR, NM I shot only that of the
explosive variety. (Shot as I said down range into the empty waiting
desert.) Here is the complete definition:

ordˇnance (ôrd[]n[]ns)
n. Abbr. ord., ordn.
1.Military materiel, such as weapons, ammunition, combat vehicles, and
equipment.
2.The branch of an armed force that procures, maintains, and issues
weapons, ammunition, and combat vehicles.
3.Cannon; artillery.

>Sheezh!
>
>Marc James Small
>Lt Col, Ordnance Corps, USAR, Retired
>(Oh!  And a '75 graduate of the Defense Information School, as well!)

Ah, and therein would lie the root of your tone of seeming superiority. An
Officer who never needed get his low quarters scuffed. Worse even, a Part
Time Officer.

Well thanks for the public correction and teaching the lowly Corporal 'the
basics of life Sir.'
Duly noted.

Michael