Subject: Re: [Leica] snapshot! insult or compliment?
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:11:06 -0600

>I'm trying to figure out just how bad of an insult calling someones images an
>snapshot is.
> snapshot (n.)
>1. an informal photograph, esp. one taken quickly by a hand-held camera.
>2. Hunting. a quick shot taken without deliberate aim.
>3. Informal. a brief appraisal, summary, or profile.
>4. to photograph informally and quickly.
>

>Mark Rabiner

I think it can (most often is) be an insult but does not have to be
(ought not be). Some folks only dig what I call "constructed photographs"
some only get giddy about what others might call snapshots. There are
some fine snapshots out in the world and about a zillion times more bad
ones. Just because it happened spur of the moment does not make it worth
less as a photo. And all the bad ones really should not drag the good
ones down.

If its a good picture it is just that. Skill is required - not just luck.
Ted Grant's photo of Trudeau sliding down the bannister could be a
"snapshot" but it sure didn't happen because Ted's a goof.

Its not about locking up a bunch of monkeys with a bunch of typewriters.

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Henry