Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:08:08 -0800

The History Channel had a show on the top ten most dangerous professions,
and Combat Photographer made the list, I think at #4 or thereabouts.  (#1
was Alaskan crab fisherman.)  They noted how, in the past, combatants
generally would not intentionally fire upon the photographers and
journalists, but more recently, particularly in urban warfare settings, they
are considered "fair game" if the combatants do not like how they are being
portrayed in the press.  They had footage of video crews under fire, who
didn't need an olive drab M6 to get shot at.

Another program showed the new breed of military-trained combat
photographers, who are trained soldiers, but receive special training in the
digital arts.  They will digitally photograph battle scenes, both for
journalistic purposes and as information gathering, and up-load the photos
right from the battleground by satellite link, so the command center gets
them back in nearly real time.  If Leica does not get digital out, Ms on the
battlefield will be a thing of the past.  Of course, the controversy is that
the networks and news syndicates are very happy to have the photos handed to
them on a silver platter, in almost real time, but that all the info is then
coming through military channels.

Tom S.