Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/1 Noctilux
From: "jbflesher" <jbflesher@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:34:25 -0800

I'm no expert, but...

As I understand it, all Noctilux f1.0's share the same optical formula, but
there may be some minor differences in the coatings. (There are 4 separate
versions; the first two of which were Canadian with differing detachable
hoods and filter-size, the third is Canadian with a built-in hood, and the
fourth is the current German model with built-in, retractable hood) The
Noctilux f1.2 is of a different, and older optical formula, has collector
appeal, but does not perform as well optically. The Canadian versions seem
to sell used for US$300 to $500 less than the current version.

I own and use a second version Noctilux on my M6TTL .72, and have no
focusing or framing difficulties - meaning I get properly focused images
even at f1 - but for me, focusing the Noctilux is a "slower" process than it
is with my 50 Summicron.

Jack
Los Altos, California