Subject: [Leica]OT Fotonic/Lysonic Inks & Epson 1270 type printers (long)
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:01:55 EST

I spent a couple of hours yesterday with the distributors of Lysonic
(Fotonic) inks here in the UK. I thought you may be interested in the outcome
fo the discussions.

I start from the point of being very happy with colour prints from my Epson
1270 and relatively happy with the mono prints that I am producing using the
black channel only. I made the visit because I was assured by them that they
now had chipped cartridges suitable for the Epson printers that require them,
and these are indeed shown in their price lists.

After quite a while of being shown very good results using the inks on 1160
printers, I asked whether I could take advantage of the Epson advantage of
being able to change carts and then reinserting them (e.g. if I wanted to do
a long run with a fresh cart but had some ink in the previous one). I was
told this was not possible and that they would recommend the purchase of the
1160 for mono only, leaving the 1270 for colour.

I then said that, if I accept the scenario of two separate printers, could
they provide ink colour ink carts for the 1270. The answer somewhat surprised
me — they cannot at the moment but should be able to in about a week. It
would then be necessary for me to prise the chip off my Epson cart, zap it in
a small devise (available from a third source at about £20/$30) to reprogram
it and insert it on their cart. This would be necessary every time I changed
carts. They also stated that this procedure was 'of dubious legality' because
of Epson's rights.

Then they shattered me even further by saying that they had not seen results
from their new carts using 1270 printers so did not know how well the system
would work! Having driven 80 miles (1300km) each way through falling snow, I
was less than impressed especially as I had checked everything out over the
telephone with them!

The day was not totally wasted though because it gave me 'thinking time'
during the drive and food for thought. When I got home I tried scanning a
T-max400CN neg on RGB and then adjusting the print driver settings to produce
a neutral mono print and, without too much effort, got there within about 5
test prints and the help of my wife's eye for colour bias. This has
'sharpened up' my b&w and my colour is fine in any case, so I am now a happy
bunny. In addition I have saved around £300 ($450) on inks, printers, etc.

Gerry

Gerry Walden (UK)
Tel: (0)23 8046 3076
Fax: (0)23 8034 8542