Subject: [Leica] Re: old vs. new quality and viewfinder images
From: "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:10:48 +1000

On 19 Mar 2001, at 20:40, Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> I also converted the innards by installing an M3 rangefinder unit. All things
> being equal otherwise, I can say that the M3 finder is a big help for viewing
> and framing with my 50mm and 90mm lenses. But I also find that the M3 viewfinder
> is slightly less bright than the former M6 unit. I am beginning to wonder
> whether the increased brightness of today's M6 is the cause of the infamous
> flare problem (note that most remedies for the problem involve dimming the
> finder image with tape etc.). In any case, the differences in viewing with the
> different eras of finders are not as huge in use as you may imagine (the larger
> magnification of the M3 is great, but so is the brightness of today's .85 M6).

Hi Emanuel,

Out of interest I just performed a quick test of VF brightness between a
relatively recently serviced M4, M6 0.72, M6 0.85 TTL and Mamiya 7II, I used
a spot-meter to measure the area under the RF spot in the finder, the
cameras were placed in the same relative position on a cabin light panel.

Several measurements were taken (rough) and the consistent readings were:

M4 (original 0.72 finder) f8 + 1/10
M6 (original 0.72 finder) f8 + 1/10
M6 0.85 TTL f5.6 + 9/10
Mamiya 7II f11 + 6/10

As you can see the relative brightness of the older non-flaring M4 finder is by
my rough measurement identical in brightness to the classic M6. The finder
patch flare is a function of the RF optics chain (AFAIK) which I wouldn't
imagine could alter the overall brightness of the RF view?

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110