Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: 35 1.4 vs. 35 1.4 asph
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:07:42 EST

 There is a major difference between the 35/1,4 and the Asph version. The
35/1,4 Asph is big, a bit clumsy to operate and a stunning performer. It is
most likely one of the best 35's ever made! I know that some users dont like
the 'Bokeh," but I rather have disagreeable Bokeh and a sharp image of what I
wanted sharp. The old 35/1,4 is small, reasonable cost and it has a bit of
it's own signature. It is noticeably soft wide-open and if you can live with
that, it is a nice lens. It is not 'unsharp" wide open just a softer look, it
has a certain glow to it and the lower contrast helps when you are shooting
in theatres, bars or pubs. I have both lenses and use them. The 35/1,4 of
olden days is a flattering lens wide-open and once you stop it down, it is
nice, sharp and with a smooth contrast. The 35/1,4 Asph is knife-edge sharp
wide open and stays that way through out the range. The 1st generation of the
35/1,4 was not that good, but once they changed the formula (sometimes in the
60's) it was a bit of a landmark lens then, as a fast 35. The choice is yours
and if you are shooting low-light color, go for the Asph. If you are a black
and white shooter, go for the older versions and buy film for the price
difference.
Tom A