Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 90mm Elmarit-M, Quality Concerns
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:43:12 -0600

>I'm concerned about this Elmarit-M, however.  Yes, I knew that it was a
>plug-ugly lens when I decided to get one, but the rave reviews, from people
>I trust, more than overcame that concern:  really, I use lenses to take
>pictures, not as the subject of pictures.  And I do find it pretty
>wonderful, optically (although I've yet to test for flare -- and am
>surprised that it is thought to have problems in that department).
I don't think anyone who has used it will say it has flare problems.
Another bad rumor.
>I phoned
>DAG, and he suggested that he could probably tighten up the play in the
>front barrel and the focusing, so I think I'm going to keep this lens.  That
>does not really excuse Leica from releasing a thousand dollar lens into the
>market place -- even one example -- with this kind of flaw.  I'm interested:
>is the front barrel of your Elmarit (or anyone else's) like this:  ie. can
>you move it at all relative to the bayonet?  I tried one at B&H, and it was
>solid as a rock.  Perhaps this tiny amount of play is within spec, however.
>Douglas Cooper

Douglas,
My 90 Elmarit M is solid as a rock.  The only thing I'd change about mine
is to be faster and well, thats what the 90 Summicron APO is for. I just
got one of those. One of my 90s is leaving - I still don't know for sure
which. I do feel that choosing between the two is kind of like picking
the blue Rolls or the grey Rolls - can't go wrong either way.

Did you buy it new? Or used? Could it be that the person you got it from
damaged it? If its used raising hell about its condition just shows that
maybe you got "took" - you should have caught that before you bought it.
If you bought it new then expect that your dealer can make it right.

Raising all this hell about Leica's QC is a waste of time. Even more so
if you're buying used stuff of unknown origin. I've had a few problems
with brand new Leica gear and they've fixed it - back to my hands in a
week both times.

 I (or anyone else on the LUG) can not fix it for you via email. So get
it repaired. Its a wonderful lens. Great size to carry, great performance.

If it makes good pictures just go out and use it and enjoy it. Stop
playing "musical cameras"  trading and buying ands selling and instead
use your stuff  (and time) to make pictures. I know you know how.

And all this bellyaching about how Leica gear does not measure up and
Erwin's full of hot air - well just stop it NOW! There AIN'T  NO better
35mm gear. I would not spend my hard earned money on it - I'd buy the
other stuff if it was better!
If you don't like it, sell it all - you have an audience right here that
might buy it and relieve of your onerous burden.

Hurrumphhhhhhh!

Henry
PS - Don't make me come to New York!