Subject: [Leica] personal attacks: a solution
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:16:17 -0800

>I am getting very tired of the personal attacks on the Leica Users
>list. Statements about the scruples or ethics of other people on the
>list do not bring value to the subscribers of the list, do not reflect
>well on the scruples or ethics of the accuser, and set a negative tone
>that lures other people into doing the same thing.
>[snip]
>Brian Reid

What if the policy of the list was modified with a clause prohibiting
personal attacks? On many lists OT posts are not tolerated and offenders
are removed from the list. Could not the same thing be done with those who
attack others personally, or would this put an unreasonable burden on you,
Brian, who would have to define, defend, and enforce such a policy?

I agree that the posts in question add nothing positive to this forum, and
are detrimental not only to those who are attacked but to the LUG as a
group as well. While I'm certainly not for limiting anyone's freedom of
speech, I don't see why we, either individually or as a list, should be
subjected to what appear to be personal grudges and the nasty inflammatory
threads in which they inevitably result.

Guy